The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Giving info to relief pitcher

I recently came across a seasoned umpire who noticed me telling new pitchers coming in during an inning “man on 1st and 2nd. 1 our. No count on batter” like I am used to doing. He stayed I was not a coach and should not engage the pitcher. I had asked for a critique so he wasn’t demeaning about it, but do you all do any “status update” with a new pitcher?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
I recently came across a seasoned umpire who noticed me telling new pitchers coming in during an inning “man on 1st and 2nd. 1 our. No count on batter” like I am used to doing. He stayed I was not a coach and should not engage the pitcher. I had asked for a critique so he wasn’t demeaning about it, but do you all do any “status update” with a new pitcher?
Have you seen any MLB, MILB, NCAA umpires do this. It's a smitty thing and sometimes an insert yourself into the ball game thing by some guys. But you were probably emulating them and didn't know any better. Don't. I have heard of rec league UICs requiring their umps to "brief" the pitcher. They don't require other subs or PHs to be briefed Also the pitcher belongs to the PU. You belong on the grass line counting pitches in case the PU asks you.

Last edited by umpjim; Thu Apr 26, 2018 at 08:33pm.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 05:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
It's the coach's job to do this.

If there's a change mid-batter, give the ball/strike count before the first pitch from the new pitcher. Nothing more.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Have you seen any MLB, MILB, NCAA umpires do this. It's a smitty thing and sometimes an insert yourself into the ball game thing by some guys. But you were probably emulating them and didn't know any better. Don't. I have heard of rec league UICs requiring their umps to "brief" the pitcher. They don't require other subs or PHs to be briefed Also the pitcher belongs to the PU. You belong on the grass line counting pitches in case the PU asks you.
Rec league - just verify the number of outs. (count if mid batter) He can see the runners. Coaches there aren't always as thorough as a seasoned coach.