The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2018, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Weather

It is just lovely here in Minnesota today. Even in the southeast portion of the state, which is generally warmer than the rest of Minnesota, six to 15 inches of snow over the weekend. That follows a substantial snow on Easter weekend.

It appears ball will be shut down all week for sure. I have worked twice in April when I normally worked at least 10 times by now.

It is tough for AD's and umpires alike. One conference totally redid its schedule. The new schedule was supposed to kick in this week--that won't be happening.

Worst April in memory.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 08:45am
TODO: creative title here

Hey, at least you got a couple of games in. I haven't had a game yet.

We've got about 15 inches of snow on the ground now, and another 1-3 inches of snow is forecast here tomorrow.

Maybe we'll get on the field in the later half of next week, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I have no idea how much our baseball/softball assigner gets paid, but I'm sure it's not enough for me to ever want that job.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, I am the commissioner (I assign umpires, but it's quite a bit more than that) for a conference of 19 baseball schools and 20 softball schools, so let me tell you how it's going here:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

Thanks.

Truthfully, there's nothing I can do about this. 8 inches coming tomorrow to pile on top of the 6 already on the ground (and not melting). Warm temps not coming till Friday at the earliest, when the snow will melt and we'll have flooding. I can't imagine many of the fields will be playable for this week or next. Snow cover this week, swampland (from snow melting) next week.

We're likely going to adopt 5-inning DH for both baseball and softball. Our state allows this for softball and has issued a waiver for the NFHS rule that says all baseball DH must be 2 7-inning games.

An AD put forth an idea to rebuild the schedule -- an idea that I had as well. Instead of playing a double round robin, we'd go to a single round robin. No appetite for that yet, although last week a majority wanted to keep playing 14-inning DH.

My guess is that our postseason will not be moved, therefore we'll get in what we can. My priority is to ensure that we're able to crown conference champions with an equitable solution even if it means a reduced schedule.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 06:49am
Official & ***** Member

Have any Northern states considered flip-flopping football & baseball seasons? Think about it.....
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Have any Northern states considered flip-flopping football & baseball seasons? Think about it.....
Given that one is the major revenue sport for the school and the other is a cost drain, I doubt that thought will take very long to complete.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 08:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Given that one is the major revenue sport for the school and the other is a cost drain, I doubt that thought will take very long to complete.
No sports are major revenue sports for small high schools.

This year is very, very different, for some reason. I hope it's an aberration. But as of right now, we've played 32 baseball/softball games out of 306 scheduled games. And our season ends on May 18.

And we're getting a pile of snow today.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But then the baseball playoffs ae doing the worst (typically) weather.

Iowa plays in the summer instead of the spring to help with this problem (although I'm certain it creates some others).
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Iowa plays in the summer instead of the spring to help with this problem (although I'm certain it creates some others).
Our baseball schools here could choose spring or summer baseball. The number of summer programs has plummeted and they are eliminating it next year.

Most people want school sports during the school year. Kids/parents want to have an opportunity to play Legion or through some travel program.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 06:34am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You may be right, although I wouldn't think so.

Here, our regular season is about 2 months, with the state playoffs lasting another month. Assuming an early September start, that would put the championship games somewhere around Thanksgiving.

Also, the players would already be in shape for baseball, having played a summer schedule, which would cut down on the need for pre-season practice time.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You may be right, although I wouldn't think so.

Here, our regular season is about 2 months, with the state playoffs lasting another month. Assuming an early September start, that would put the championship games somewhere around Thanksgiving.

Also, the players would already be in shape for baseball, having played a summer schedule, which would cut down on the need for pre-season practice time.
I would think that in most areas we are talking about, the typical Thanksgiving weather is worse than the typical early June weather (which, I think, is when the state finals would typically be held).
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Another 4 inches of snow yesterday. Just a lovely spring season.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Snow overnight.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Use the money from Spring Football for fall baseball. Accounting wise, it's accrued in the previous school year, but cash flow, put it in an interest bearing account and save for the fall/other sports.

Start in August, a week or two before school. We play just under 2 months, so it would be done mid-Oct.

Sectionals

Regionals

Semi-State

State.

Done 2nd week of November.

Isn't a single round round robin just a single elimination?
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 12:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Nobody wants to play football in the spring.

Nobody wants to play baseball in the fall.

Next.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2018, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Game 7 of the World Series was scheduled for Nov 1 in 2017. You all are seriously suggesting high school kids want to play ball two weeks after that?!?!?