Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 09:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Well, I am the commissioner (I assign umpires, but it's quite a bit more than that) for a conference of 19 baseball schools and 20 softball schools, so let me tell you how it's going here:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh.

Thanks.

Truthfully, there's nothing I can do about this. 8 inches coming tomorrow to pile on top of the 6 already on the ground (and not melting). Warm temps not coming till Friday at the earliest, when the snow will melt and we'll have flooding. I can't imagine many of the fields will be playable for this week or next. Snow cover this week, swampland (from snow melting) next week.

We're likely going to adopt 5-inning DH for both baseball and softball. Our state allows this for softball and has issued a waiver for the NFHS rule that says all baseball DH must be 2 7-inning games.

An AD put forth an idea to rebuild the schedule -- an idea that I had as well. Instead of playing a double round robin, we'd go to a single round robin. No appetite for that yet, although last week a majority wanted to keep playing 14-inning DH.

My guess is that our postseason will not be moved, therefore we'll get in what we can. My priority is to ensure that we're able to crown conference champions with an equitable solution even if it means a reduced schedule.