The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Unreported/Illegal Substitute (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102747-unreported-illegal-substitute.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jun 15, 2017 08:22pm

Unreported/Illegal Substitute

NFHS Rules (but would also like NCAA and OBR ruling):

Situation: Davis (playing F3) is batting in the 4th spot in the lineup. Howard (playing F9) is batting in the 8th spot. The Visitor's HC notifies the PU that Lewis is batting for Davis when Davis's spot in the lineup comes up to bat in the top of the 3rd inning. The top of the 3rd inning ends and Lewis remains in the game for Davis at F3 and Davis takes Howard's position at F9. After one pitch in the bottom of the 3rd inning the Home HC informs the PU that Davis has taken Lewis's position at F9.

RULING: What say you?

MTD, Sr.

Matt Thu Jun 15, 2017 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1006982)
Davis takes Lewis's position at F9.

I think I know the situation, but is this a typo?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jun 15, 2017 08:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 1006983)
I think I know the situation, but is this a typo?

I corrected it. LOL!

MTD, Sr.

Mbilica Thu Jun 15, 2017 09:43pm

OBR: This is easy. No one is allowed to reenter at all, so when Davis is in the game he is an illegal substitute no matter who he replaces on defense. He is removed from the game immediately 5.10

NFHS: Im a little confused. It appears from the description that Lewis and Davis are both in the game in the bottom of the 3rd, with Davis illegally reentering for Howard in right field. After one pitch, it appears Lewis leaves and someone else comes in at 1st base? Lewis and Davis occupy the same spot in the batting order, so they obviously can't both be in the game. However, if the problem wasn't noticed until after Lewis left the game, then I have nothing. Davis came in for Lewis and is playing a different position, but that would not be illegal. You have to catch the illegal substitute on defense while he is still illegal or before the first pitch to the next batter if he was involved in a play. If neither Lewis or Davis was involved in a play while they were both in the game, then there is no penalty because it wasn't noticed. 2-36-3c. 3-1

I don't have the NCAA rules handy

Please feel free to correct me, as I don't work NFHS at all, and I'm sure there are plenty here more knowledgeable than I with either OBR or fed rules.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

rcaverly Thu Jun 15, 2017 09:49pm

Quote:

The Visitor's HC notifies the PU that Lewis is batting for Davis when Davis's spot in the lineup comes up to bat in the top of the 3rd inning.

And, thus, we umpires are admonished to never take a projected substitution. (NFHS 3-3-1 Projected substitutions are not allowed.)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbilica (Post 1006985)
OBR: This is easy. No one is allowed to reenter at all, so when Davis is in the game he is an illegal substitute no matter who he replaces on defense. He is removed from the game immediately 5.10

NFHS: Im a little confused. It appears from the description that Lewis and Davis are both in the game in the bottom of the 3rd, with Davis illegally reentering for Howard in right field. After one pitch, it appears Lewis leaves and someone else comes in at 1st base? Lewis and Davis occupy the same spot in the batting order, so they obviously can't both be in the game. However, if the problem wasn't noticed until after Lewis left the game, then I have nothing. Davis came in for Lewis and is playing a different position, but that would not be illegal. You have to catch the illegal substitute on defense while he is still illegal or before the first pitch to the next batter if he was involved in a play. If neither Lewis or Davis was involved in a play while they were both in the game, then there is no penalty because it wasn't noticed. 2-36-3c. 3-1

I don't have the NCAA rules handy

Please feel free to correct me, as I don't work NFHS at all, and I'm sure there are plenty here more knowledgeable than I with either OBR or fed rules.

No where in the OP did I say that.

MTD, Sr.

Mbilica Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1006987)
No where in the OP did I say that.

MTD, Sr.

Then something is wrong. The HomeTeam HC doesn't realize that Lewis is still in the game at 1st base? Clearly if Lewis is in the game at 1st and Davis is in right when the umpire is notified, Davis should be ejected. Howard can reenter in his batting order spot if he was a starter.

I also notice that you mention a Visiting Team HC and then a Home Team HC but do not indicate which team Davis, Lewis, and Howard are playing for. Presumably based on the beginning of the OP, they play for the visitors. So, what is the Home team HC doing telling you about Lewis? Is he declaring an illegal sub? Im still confused.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbilica (Post 1006988)
Then something is wrong. The HomeTeam HC doesn't realize that Lewis is still in the game at 1st base? Clearly if Lewis is in the game at 1st and Davis is in right when the umpire is notified, Davis should be ejected. Howard can reenter in his batting order spot if he was a starter.

I also notice that you mention a Visiting Team HC and then a Home Team HC but do not indicate which team Davis, Lewis, and Howard are playing for. Presumably based on the beginning of the OP, they play for the visitors. So, what is the Home team HC doing telling you about Lewis? Is he declaring an illegal sub? Im still confused.

It is very simple. Just read the Situation and then issue a ruling. What happened is very straight forward.

MTD, Sr.

Mbilica Fri Jun 16, 2017 05:39am

All I can think is that the Home team HC got confused by the projected substitution (which wasn't allowed and shouldn't have been communicated to him). If Lewis never batted for Davis, but instead entered for Howard, then there is no violation.

bob jenkins Fri Jun 16, 2017 07:16am

Quote:

NFHS Rules (but would also like NCAA and OBR ruling):

Situation: Davis (playing F3) is batting in the 4th spot in the lineup. Howard (playing F9) is batting in the 8th spot. The Visitor's HC notifies the PU that Lewis is batting for Davis when Davis's spot in the lineup comes up to bat in the top of the 3rd inning. The top of the 3rd inning ends and Lewis remains in the game for Davis at F3 and Davis takes Howard's position at F9. After one pitch in the bottom of the 3rd inning the Home HC informs the PU that Davis has taken 's Howard's position at F9.

RULING: What say you?

MTD, Sr.

FED: Assuming my correction above is correct Davis re-entered in the wrong spot in the lineup. He's removed from the game and a proper sub is put in Howard's spot. Howard can re-enter, if he's eligible.

NCAA and OBR: No reentry allowed. Remove Davis. Put an eligible sub (not Howard) as F9.

thumpferee Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19pm

FED

A lot of assuming here, but I'll take a stab at it.

First of all, one pitch doesn't matter in the OP. Any time an illegal sub is discovered on defense he is removed and restricted. Only time a pitch comes into play is if there is a play made.

Assuming Davis has re-entry, he has re-entered in his spot in the lineup. Where he plays on defense doesn't matter.

Lewis is The illegal sub for Howard, assuming Bob is correct. Lewis is restricted and can be replaced by Howard or another eligible/legal sub.

Maybe this sitch needs to be re-written.

umpjim Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1006996)
FED

A lot of assuming here, but I'll take a stab at it.

First of all, one pitch doesn't matter in the OP. Any time an illegal sub is discovered on defense he is removed and restricted. Only time a pitch comes into play is if there is a play made.

Assuming Davis has re-entry, he has re-entered in his spot in the lineup. Where he plays on defense doesn't matter.

Lewis is The illegal sub for Howard, assuming Bob is correct. Lewis is restricted and can be replaced by Howard or another eligible/legal sub.

Maybe this sitch needs to be re-written.

Lewis was already an accepted legal sub for Davis. Davis replaced Howard illegally on defense. Where on defense doesn't matter but who does.

A pitch would matter in OBR as it would mean play had commenced. Penalty would be 2 burned.

bob jenkins Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1006996)
FED

Disagree -- lewis pinch hit for Davis and remained in the game. So when Davis re-entered and Howard came out, Davis re-entered in the wrong spot.

From (an older version of) the rules book:

2-36-3 ART. 3 . . . An illegal substitute is:
a. a player who enters or re-enters the game without eligibility to do so, or
b. a player who re-enters the game in the wrong position in the batting order, or
c. a player who enters the game on defense while the player for whom he is batting is also on defense, or
d. when the player for whom the DH is batting enters the game as a batter or runner in a different position in the batting order, or
e. a player who violates the courtesy runner rule.

thumpferee Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1006998)
Disagree -- lewis pinch hit for Davis and remained in the game. So when Davis re-entered and Howard came out, Davis re-entered in the wrong spot.

From (an older version of) the rules book:

2-36-3 ART. 3 . . . An illegal substitute is:
a. a player who enters or re-enters the game without eligibility to do so, or
b. a player who re-enters the game in the wrong position in the batting order, or
c. a player who enters the game on defense while the player for whom he is batting is also on defense, or
d. when the player for whom the DH is batting enters the game as a batter or runner in a different position in the batting order, or
e. a player who violates the courtesy runner rule.

Wouldn't "C" apply here? Seems like a perfect example for the OP.

Rich Ives Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 1007015)
Wouldn't "C" apply here? Seems like a perfect example for the OP.

Yes, this one also. Only one needed though.