The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 12:31pm
Broadcaster

All runner touch base on walk off walk?

NFHS. Bases loaded bottom of the seventh, two out, tie game. At ball four The runner on third tags home, runner on first tags second and the batter-runner tags first. But the runner on 2nd may or may not have tagged third. Defense appeals and the runner from second is called out.

High school baseball: Johns Creek appealing GHSA baseball result against Lee County | The Telegraph

This was appealed to the Georgia High School Association today and was reversed. Game three of the semifinal will be played Wednesday, throwing the state championship series in disarray as that classifications state championship series was to start Wednesday.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Being discussed in multiple places. Most are confused by GA's ruling. Apparently both U2 and U3 had R2 miss the base (required on FED; not in OBR), and the appeal was made while the umpires were on the field.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
NFHS. Bases loaded bottom of the seventh, two out, tie game. At ball four The runner on third tags home, runner on first tags second and the batter-runner tags first. But the runner on 2nd may or may not have tagged third. Defense appeals and the runner from second is called out.

High school baseball: Johns Creek appealing GHSA baseball result against Lee County | The Telegraph

This was appealed to the Georgia High School Association today and was reversed. Game three of the semifinal will be played Wednesday, throwing the state championship series in disarray as that classifications state championship series was to start Wednesday.

Is this the one where the protesting coach quoted the OBR rule in an NFHS game?

If so it was incorrectly overruled. FED requires the advance, OBR does not.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 01:50pm
Broadcaster

Here is the update on the GHSA website.

Johns Creek Appeal Approved By Board of Trustees | GHSA.net
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Is this the one where the protesting coach quoted the OBR rule in an NFHS game?

If so it was incorrectly overruled. FED requires the advance, OBR does not.
Yes.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The GHSA should have been hauled into court this afternoon.
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

This quote from the Head Goober makes it very clear that they were overturning a judgment call, simply based on their feelings about it. Not even trying to hide it...

GHSA board of trustees president Glenn White, citing 20 years of experience on the GHSA’s executive committee, called it was the hardest decision on a GHSA matter that he had made. The vote went 5-2 in Johns Creek’s favor.

“Normally I would support our baseball officials, and I’ve done that for years, but in this situation after listening to both Johns Creek and Lee County and their administrators and coaches, and then the summary from the GHSA office, it swayed me to believe that the wrong call was made and that it was not in the best interest of students to support that call,” White said. ”The bottom line is what’s right and what’s wrong, and I thought it was right for Johns Creek to go back to Lee County and play a third game.’’

Appeal overturns Johns Creek baseball playoff loss | Prep Zone: High School Sports blog
Old Mon May 22, 2017, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
“Normally I would support our baseball officials, and . . . it swayed me to believe that the wrong call was made and that it was not in the best interest of students to support that call,” White said. ”The bottom line is what’s right and what’s wrong, and I thought it was right for Johns Creek to go back to Lee County and play a third game.’’
Must have been pine tar on the base. Just ask Lee MacPhail.