The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 25, 2017, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Little League pitch rest regulation

I think my league is interpreting some of the threshold rules incorrectly they are returning pitch count to last pitch of previous batter, not first pitch of the last batter also as I read the rulebook and the league we moved from interpreted, the 41-pitch to catcher rule does not have the revert stipulation, but is a hard-stop. So if a pitcher throws a 41 pitches period he cannot catch.

Which is why in my previous league, I would remove my pitcher sometimes mid-batter if he hit the 40 mark.

2 Questions:
1. When reverting back for days rest, do you revert back to the last pitch of the 2nd to last batter or the first pitch of the last batter? (I believe its 1st of last)

2. On the catcher rule, are the same stipulations for reverting back in place if they throw 41 or more pitches, I do not believe the rulebook stipulates that.
Old Thu May 25, 2017, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
I think my league is interpreting some of the threshold rules incorrectly they are returning pitch count to last pitch of previous batter, not first pitch of the last batter also as I read the rulebook and the league we moved from interpreted, the 41-pitch to catcher rule does not have the revert stipulation, but is a hard-stop. So if a pitcher throws a 41 pitches period he cannot catch.

Which is why in my previous league, I would remove my pitcher sometimes mid-batter if he hit the 40 mark.

2 Questions:
1. When reverting back for days rest, do you revert back to the last pitch of the 2nd to last batter or the first pitch of the last batter? (I believe its 1st of last)

2. On the catcher rule, are the same stipulations for reverting back in place if they throw 41 or more pitches, I do not believe the rule book stipulates that.
Assume crossing the 35 limit here but it applies to each break point.

There is no "revert back". 37 pitches is 37 pitches. The exception just says IF you reach 35 during an AB the pitcher can continue until that batter is out or reaches base and days rest is then based on only pitching 35 pitches. But it does NOT change the actual pitch count, thus does not alter the catcher move either.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Thu May 25, 2017 at 10:37pm.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Of course it doesnt change the actual pitch count so it is during the at-bat, so the "pitch" that is counted for days rest, etc is the first pitch thrown to the last batter that pitcher faces, not the last pitch of the previous batter.

So there is no such "finish the batter" provision for playing catcher later is that correct? Pitcher starts his final batter and throws pitch 39, it goes on to be a 6-pitch at bat. His total pitches is 44, as I read the rule he cannot catch because he has thrown more than 40 pitches, and the finishing the batter stipulation to the first pitch of the last batter threshold rule only applies to max number of pitchers a pitcher can throw in a day as well as number of days a P needs to rest.

Last edited by parrothead; Fri May 26, 2017 at 10:51am.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course it doesnt change the actual pitch count so it is during the at-bat, so the "pitch" that is counted for days rest, etc is the first pitch thrown to the last batter that pitcher faces, not the last pitch of the previous batter.

So there is no such "finish the batter" provision for playing catcher later is that correct? Pitcher starts his final batter and throws pitch 39, it goes on to be a 6-pitch at bat. His total pitches is 44, as I read the rule he cannot catch because he has thrown more than 40 pitches, and the finishing the batter stipulation to the first pitch of the last batter threshold rule only applies to max number of pitchers a pitcher can throw in a day as well as number of days a P needs to rest.
Please don't say "revert back". It can make people think the pitch count changes.

Stop thinking "last batter faced". The pitch count for rest is based on the limit reached. Doesn't matter when it the AB it came.

There is no "finish the batter" for the catcher.

Someone in your league is trying to game the system.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Exception:If a pitcher reaches a day(s) of rest threshold while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to pitch until any one of the following conditions occurs: (1) that batter reaches base; (2) that batter is retired; or (3) the third out is made to complete the half-inning or the game. The pitcher will only be required to observe the calendar day(s) of rest for the threshold he/she reached during that at-bat, provided that pitcher is removed or the game is completed before delivering a pitch to another batter.”

Regular Season Pitching Rules - Baseball and Softball

There is definetly a revert back when it comes to days rest, but there does not seem to be any such exception for the catching version of the rule, seems like when they reach 40 and you want them to catch, you need to yank them, mid at-bat or not.
Old Fri May 26, 2017, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exception:If a pitcher reaches a day(s) of rest threshold while facing a batter, the pitcher may continue to pitch until any one of the following conditions occurs: (1) that batter reaches base; (2) that batter is retired; or (3) the third out is made to complete the half-inning or the game. The pitcher will only be required to observe the calendar day(s) of rest for the threshold he/she reached during that at-bat, provided that pitcher is removed or the game is completed before delivering a pitch to another batter.”

Regular Season Pitching Rules - Baseball and Softball

There is definetly a revert back when it comes to days rest, but there does not seem to be any such exception for the catching version of the rule, seems like when they reach 40 and you want them to catch, you need to yank them, mid at-bat or not.
For pitching it is an exception, not a reversion. Revert = go back. The count does not revert (go back). It stays where it is. There is just an exception that lets his rest be calculated as if he had only pitched to the limit. The tournament and regular season rules are the same, so look at the tournament affidavit. You list pitches thrown and threshold reached in separate columns so you can account for the exception.

As the count does not revert you use it (actual pitches thrown) is used for catching eligibility.

Someone in your league is trying to game the system.
Old Mon May 29, 2017, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Im not sure anyone is trying to "game" the system, I just think they havent been schooled correctly and are misinterpreting the rule. On Friday night we were in playoffs and I was the official book/pitch count. Winner would play on Tuesday, so 3-days rest, the 65-pitch 3-day threshold was kind of both coaches magic number and interest level.

So to start the 5th I believe, he comes over and gets confirmation of pitch count I said "63", he says "ok this is gonna be his last batter, circle 63 for days rest" - now it didnt matter because whether his interpretation or my interpretation is correct in terms of threshold crossing point either way was below 65. My belief though and the way Ive seen it calculated in previous league as well as all star tournaments weve hosted where I have been on the official count, is that the threshold number is the first pitch to the last batter because the rule stats "while facing a batter"

Many of them also think (incorrectly in everywhere else I have been) there is a threshold for the 41 pitch catcher rule.