The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Anybody agree that the ump blew the call at 1B in the 8th inning when he ruled a Braves' runner safe in what would have been an inning-ending double play?

Initially, the announcers claimed that F3 had tried to "steal" the out by leaving the bag soon. But on the second or third replay, one of them said, "Questionable call." Looked out to me from the beginning.

(Sorry I can't supply the players' names. But cite some teams from the late 1950s or early 1960s, and I'll give you most of the roster.)
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Anybody agree that the ump blew the call at 1B in the 8th inning when he ruled a Braves' runner safe in what would have been an inning-ending double play?

Initially, the announcers claimed that F3 had tried to "steal" the out by leaving the bag soon. But on the second or third replay, one of them said, "Questionable call." Looked out to me from the beginning.

(Sorry I can't supply the players' names. But cite some teams from the late 1950s or early 1960s, and I'll give you most of the roster.)
It was an out when I saw it live. It was an out every time I saw it on replay.

"Initially, the announcers claimed that F3 had tried to "steal" the out by leaving the bag soon."

Another dumb remark. Pulling the foot by F3 is a "gimmee" in pro ball.

Bob

Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

It looked to me like Karros thought the runner was going to be safe aslo because he took off right at the runner at third to hold him there. He never looked back at the umpire which tells me that he thought the call was right, so he may have pulled the foot.

Did anyone else think that Froemming's zone was a little low?
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

The guy was out at first...but hey, it happens. It shouldn't happen by the time your doing the Majors, but it does, and this is coming from a Cubs man. Then again...we did win the game! I just hope Zambrano can pull through tonight.

I thought Froemming's zone was all over the place. There were a lot of times I would see the pitch, hear the call, rewind my TiVo and watch it again. The zone was definitely moving, and Fick from the Braves didn't seem too happy about it.

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I would agree with all of you about Froemming's zone last night. I only caught the last 2 1/2 innings of the game, but of what I saw of it, I was not sure what was going to called a strike, and what was going to be called a ball.

However, let us give props to Hunter Wendlestedt's strike zone in the game tonight 10/1/03. I thought his strike zone was outstanding all night long. Plus, allow me to give props to 1st Base Umpire Dale Scott, who I thought get all of the bang-bang calls at 1st correct.

Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...the announcers claimed...
Now there's the next item that TiVo needs, something to cut out the announcers.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
...the announcers claimed...
Now there's the next item that TiVo needs, something to cut out the announcers.
You don't need anything new. There's a "MUTE" button on the remote.

Bob
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
...There's a "MUTE" button on the remote.[/B]
But then you miss the roar, cheers and crack of the bat, not to mention the ump's calls.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm from Illions, and I also hate the fox and espn announcers. When the Cubs play and the game is broadcast on WGN I don't have much of a problem with the announcers. Chip Carry is okay and Steve Stone is absoutly awesome. But if the game is on Fox or ESPN I allways turn down the tv and I put on WGN radio and listen to the game. Did anyone hear Ron Santo on game 3 and 4? He is such a great character. The way he stands there and whistles when the Cubs score. What a guy.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
I'm from Illions, and I also hate the fox and espn announcers. When the Cubs play and the game is broadcast on WGN I don't have much of a problem with the announcers. Chip Carry is okay and Steve Stone is absoutly awesome. But if the game is on Fox or ESPN I allways turn down the tv and I put on WGN radio and listen to the game. Did anyone hear Ron Santo on game 3 and 4? He is such a great character. The way he stands there and whistles when the Cubs score. What a guy.
1..Where is Illions?

2..You should have seen Santo do hie heel clicking jump when he played.

Bob
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Sox

We have Direct TV satellite. The picture feed is delayed about 2 seconds. If I mute the national announcers and listen to our (excellent) Boston announcers, I hear the result, THEN see the action.

For example:
"WAY BACK, WAY BACK, GONE! and Manny Ramirez has hit a three run homer to put the Red Sox ahead 4-1!" Then I see Manny hit the ball. So, I don't tune into radio.

I was a little nervous in the bottom of the 9th last night when one of the announcers described a "slow roller down the first base line." Anyway, it was foul. Well, I was nervous about everything, actually.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like everyone wants their homie announcers. That is fine if you are watching the game from a fans (fanatics) point of view.

My frustration is with announcers that are ex-players... 50 year olds and a life time in baseball, but don't know theirs a difference between obstruction and interference, and still believe the tie goes to the runner.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
...There's a "MUTE" button on the remote.
But then you miss the roar, cheers and crack of the bat, not to mention the ump's calls. [/B]
Some stations run the game audio only (no announcers) on the SAP audio channel, if your TV has that capability. I know that on several NFL broadcasts last year, FOX ran the announcers on the main audio and ran the SAP without them. Might try it that way. Good luck.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I don't like Santo. IMHO, it's his job to call the game. Don't cheer for your team from the booth. If you want to do that, buy a ticket. Of course, I'll take him any day over that idiot on the other side of town, Ken Harrelson. Any time an announcer refers to one team as the "good guys," there something wrong.

This is what makes people like Vin Scully and Jack Buck all the more great. It doesn't matter if Scully is doing a Dodgers game or Buck is (was) doing a Cardinals game. All you will get is a professional, straightforward, great call of the game. Especially on the radio, I need to hear what's going on from the announcers. I DO NOT need to hear some guy whooping and yelling mindless drivel while I wait 20 seconds to find out what the hell happened because the announcer can't A) keep his emotions in check and B)stop cheering for his own team.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I mute the sound and then listen to music on my stereo system. Once you get used to that arrangement, you find that you very seldom need to turn the TV sound on. How much of what the announcers say do you really need to hear?