The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ball hits runner

BigCat has not umpired baseball in many moons. Runner on first, first baseman plays in front of bag. There's a runner on first. Ground ball goes past first baseman, second baseman has no real play on ball. Ball hits runner. Runner called out because ball hit him. I don't think that's right if ball passed a fielder and no other had chance to make play. Appreciate anybody up on current rules...
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 06:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Which rule set?

In NFHS, you would be correct. In OBR, runner has to be directly behind the fielder that the ball passes when he is hit to be absolved of interference.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
BigCat has not umpired baseball in many moons. Runner on first, first baseman plays in front of bag. There's a runner on first. Ground ball goes past first baseman, second baseman has no real play on ball. Ball hits runner. Runner called out because ball hit him. I don't think that's right if ball passed a fielder and no other had chance to make play. Appreciate anybody up on current rules...
If that's what happened, you are correct!

If ump judged F4 could have made a play, different story.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Which rule set?

In NFHS, you would be correct. In OBR, runner has to be directly behind the fielder that the ball passes when he is hit to be absolved of interference.
I don't know what OBR is. Thought it was universal that if ball passed a player and no other could make play runner safe. Been long time since I've seen rule book.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 07:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

Ball hits runner

OBR stands for Official Baseball Rules which is what MLB and MiLB play under. Many youth leagues adopt a version of it for their use as well.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Which rule set?

Welp, I don't get the "directly behind person." I don't know the current rules but I would think the key would be if any other defender had chance to make a play.

Directly behind would seem to mean the ball went through 3's legs. Just seems weird to me.

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Apr 22, 2016 at 08:05pm.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Welp, I don't get the "directly behind person." I don't know the current rules but I would think the key would be if any other defender had chance to make a play.

Directly behind would seem to mean the ball went through 3's legs. Just seems weird to me.
Wendelstedt suggests at the pro level that if F4 is not playing in then a ball that goes thru or by F3 and hits the runner is interference because F4 should still have a chance at the ball. "By" includes a diving F3's glove.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2016, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The OBR rule (which is defferent from FED, which is different from NCAA) is:

The runner is out if he's hit by the batted ball.

Except: If the runner is directly behind the fielder, then the runner should expect the fielder to make the play, so the runner is not out.

Except (to the except): If another fielder had a play, then the runner is still out.
Old Sat Apr 23, 2016, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks all.