The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2016, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Multiple mistakes

HS Game. 1 out R1 on first base. R1 off with the pitch. Batter/Runner hits fly ball to shallow CF. F8 makes apparent diving catch. Ball is seen entering the mitt and out is called by FU. R1 begins retreat to 1b. F8 rises from ground revealing ball underneath his body (apparently ball dislodge from mitt upon contact with the ground and landed under F8). F8 fires to F3 who tags R1 trying to return to 1b. Batter/Runner ceased running to 1b when out called for catch (poor coaching). F3 now in possession of ball retreats to 1b and touches bag. Ruled 8-3 double play. See any problems with ruling?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2016, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming the "HS Game" was played under FED rules: 10-2-3-l: "(The umpire-in-chief's) duties include: Rectify any situation in which an umpire's decision that was reversed has placed either team at a disadvantage."

In NCAA, BR gets first, all other runners advance one base.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

This is why umpires need to be patient when calling outs when the fielder is falling, sliding or other like situations.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
This is why umpires need to be patient when calling outs when the fielder is falling, sliding or other like situations.
I agree with this.....

But I bet the offensive coach would complain about being late in making a call if his runner would get thrown out advancing into 2nd base. The blame for all misfortune seems to fall on the umpires....
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
I agree with this.....

But I bet the offensive coach would complain about being late in making a call if his runner would get thrown out advancing into 2nd base. The blame for all misfortune seems to fall on the umpires....
The reality of it is, the BU has to see a proper catch and in a situation like this, the BU has to either see the ball in the glove or an intentional transfer to the throwing hand. The OC can complain all he wants, a proper umpire makes no call in this situation until he is sure.

One play - one call!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I find it interesting that many have chosen to focus on the umpire's mistake (Premature Call). I am not saying I disagree with any of the prior posts. I entitled the post multiple mistakes because I also felt that had Batter/Runner continued running and touched 1b, there would have been no or little controversy. Offensive coach may complain but his players as Batter/Runners should also be coached to run to 1b. As they often say in Baseball, "You never Know."
Old Thu Apr 07, 2016, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchcoach View Post
I find it interesting that many have chosen to focus on the umpire's mistake (Premature Call).
Umm...what's the name of the site?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchcoach View Post
I find it interesting that many have chosen to focus on the umpire's mistake (Premature Call). I am not saying I disagree with any of the prior posts. I entitled the post multiple mistakes because I also felt that had Batter/Runner continued running and touched 1b, there would have been no or little controversy. Offensive coach may complain but his players as Batter/Runners should also be coached to run to 1b. As they often say in Baseball, "You never Know."
I guess you didn't notice that you posted on an UMPIRE's website, not a BASEBALL website.....LOL!!!!!!

We don't care about the player's mistakes, only the umpire's mistakes.
Old Sun Apr 10, 2016, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

The scenario in the original post was brought to me by another coach. While I agree with the posts that said umpires can correct mistakes, the point I made to him was that the umpire mistake was essentially corrected. FU after seeing the ball on the ground ruled no catch. An initial mistake does not necessarily equate to the award. Batter/runner was retired 8-3 not 8 unassisted. The question I had for the aggrieved coach was "When arguing the call what would have been your response to the umpire replying and what should I tell the defensive coach when he wants a ruling on batter/runner never touching 1b?" Bob would rectify (no argument) any thoughts regarding allowing the play to stand?