The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Last Time By Question

NFHS Question. Can anyone please explain the logic with regards to last-time-by not being applicable in casebook 8.2.6 SITUATION H: R1 is stealing on the pitch and a fly ball is hit to right field. R1 misses second base by (a) a few inches or (b) a greater distance because he cuts across the infield missing second base as he advanced toward third base. F9 catches the fly ball and R1 now retouches second base as he retreats to first base. F9’s throw is errant and R1 reaches first base ahead of the throw. The defense now appeals that R1 should be out as he did not initially touch second base. RULING: In (a), R1 is not declared out as he touched second on his last time by the base. In (b), R1 is out on appeal because a runner who misses a base by such a great distance in order to gain an advantage would still be vulnerable to appeal under the principle of last time by.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

If you miss a base by "accident" you are allowed to correct it on last-time-by.

If you cheat, you can't take advantage of this rule.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 10:38am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you miss a base by "accident" you are allowed to correct it on last-time-by.

If you cheat, you can't take advantage of this rule.
Which makes no sense.

R1 has to take the same path (and the same amount of time) to retreat to second and then first in both situations. It shouldn't matter HOW he got to third.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Which makes no sense.

R1 has to take the same path (and the same amount of time) to retreat to second and then first in both situations. It shouldn't matter HOW he got to third.
Penalties fall into two types: equity penalties (such as nullifying the act obstruction,) or punitive penalties (such as ejection for USC.) In the first, the goal is to make the outcome as close as possible to what would have happened had the infraction not occurred. In the second, the goal is to deter the infraction from happening and preventing it from happening again.

This enforcement is an example of a penalty in equity being enforced as a punitive penalty due to the deliberate actions of the offender.