View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I think they clarified to call the runner out immediately this year but never had it in the rule to call the runner out after all playing action is ended. I've always assumed to call, other than in NCAA, "that's assistance, he's out" when the assist took place. NCAA would allow the assisted runner to continue, given that the umpire might point and say something about what just happened and if the runner kept going any play on him would be OK, even if plays could have been made elsewhere.

Was there FED guidance to not call the assisted runner out until the end of playing action and you find it strange that they reversed that guidance. Or do you find it strange that with a delayed dead ball the runner is called out immediately but the ball is kept live for outs but not advances in FED?
UPDATE: Thanks to recent NFHS 2017 Interps and my belated perusal of the 2017 casebook, coach assist will be called immediately (I never thought differently) and all outs and advances will stand. The 2017 rulebook has some remaining verbiage that would not support the Interp but the Interp and casebook will rule in this instance.