View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2017, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
No need to be defensive. It relates to the point of unnecessary communication with coaches that can get you in trouble. If your assigner wants this done then so be it but I've seen an official give incorrect info- because the table was wrong- to a coach on how many timeouts he had. And the coach directed his anger toward the official instead of his assistants and the book who should have provided him the correct info. Why insert yourself when you don't need to? By rule we are to notify when they have zero and that's the only time I concern myself with it. I don't need their help to officiate and they don't need my help to coach.

As for the OP situation, I would not say that to a coach. The intention is good but no need for color commentary like that. In the past I have said something like #24 needs to clean his screens up but have found myself doing that less and less. There are certain times and situations where you can say things to coaches that work but you have to be careful and it's generally just not a good idea to initiate conversations like this with a coach. For the most part
The potential negatives far outweigh any positives you think will come out of it.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will simply call fouls to communicate things across.