View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm done after this year, but I'm already scheduled in February. This league is in the town where I teach, and a lot of my students' dads play in the league so it would be really bad form to not follow through on the commitment. I'll finish out this year, and be done with it for good. I doubt I'll get any of the post season assignments, as he took me off the schedule the last two weeks of February for another good story. Read on if you want to hear about that fun one.
3 weeks ago we had an ice storm on deck for Sunday night. NWS was advising no travel whatsoever after 6 pm. I was scheduled to ref 4-9 that night. He called me in the morning for something else, and I asked him about cancelling that night. He told me as long as he had refs there, he wasn't worried about it. Two thoughts that went through my head were what about our safety, and what if nobody shows up for games? I chewed on that for a couple hours a little annoyed. My wife is a big worrier. Worries every morning while I'm out running. Used to worry about my 30 minute commute until I got this position in the town where we live. Worries about every little thing. She was talking all day about how she was really worried about me driving in the weather. Finally, I thought you know what? It isn't worth stressing her out over a rec league that I don't really enjoy doing. Sent him a text at about noon and said I'll do your first two games, but I'm done at 6 when the ice will be here so you'll either have to cancel or find someone else who's willing to drive in the storm. I'm sure he wasn't excited but hey man, with the way he backs us up (not at all), it is what it is. By the way, the storm was everything they made it out to be. It was a skating rink. I went out to salt, took one step out my front door and luckily still had a hold of my door handle, because I went down. It was still a frozen mess Monday morning when I left for work.