The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Another Men's Wreck League Question/Fun Discussion

This is definitely my last year with these idiots. Any of you ever get fed up and tell them to quit bitching? I ask because I finally had enough in a game last weekend and used those exact words. I know I should have cleaned it up, but it was the 4th of a 5 game set and they had been whining about everything from the opening tip. One of the guys was so offended that he emailed the league coordinator and we all got an email telling us to make sure we handle these guys with kids gloves. In the same email he also told us to please not call in because he can't find officials. This is the same coordinator who reprimanded us for:

-forfeiting a game because they only had 4 there at tip, when in the league rules it says "game time is forfeit time," and NFHS says you can't start a game with 4.

-ending a game with 2 min left when we had 3 flagrant intentionals on 3 consecutive trips down the floor.

-giving too many T's, and not being patient enough with the players.

I wonder why they can't find officials.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

you made it longer than I would have it sounds like.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post

-ending a game with 2 min left when we had 3 flagrant intentionals on 3 consecutive trips down the floor.
Impossible.

(and I recognize my saying this is as predictable as Billy posting about belts and rocket scientists)
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 11:04am
Do not give a damn!!

And I did not even need to read the thread.

Save yourself and walk away from these leagues.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
This is definitely my last year with these idiots. Any of you ever get fed up and tell them to quit bitching? I ask because I finally had enough in a game last weekend and used those exact words. I know I should have cleaned it up, but it was the 4th of a 5 game set and they had been whining about everything from the opening tip....
When it came (notice the past tense) to adult rec and military intramurals, I said whatever I needed to say to keep things under control. Once even told 2 soldiers "then get the f**k off the floor" in order to keep a situation from escalating.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Impossible.

(and I recognize my saying this is as predictable as Billy posting about belts and rocket scientists)
My bad, I was typing that up on my plan period and in a hurry. FPF, not IFF.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

My last game was just over a year ago. Was working on being patient. Gave them way too much rope and ended up ejecting the player. I would much rather do kids get paid the same and have less issues.

That assignor can't be a referee and tell you guys to handle men with kid gloves. They would walk all over you guys...

Hope you quit.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hay I know it can be frustrating for you when working these type of games but when it comes to men's wreck league games--which I occasionally pick up after my NF season is done---this is what I tell my officiating partner prior to the games:
"let's get them in the bonus early and convert this game into a free-throw shooting contest because we have a running clock--no need to make this affair longer than it needs to be."

And, it is quite normal for the league managers to be intimidated by the players---because they feel as though they have to cow-tow to the paying customers.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like this jello-spined coordinator needs you more than you need him.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Bail. And have any other real refs that they haven't run off bail too. Let him run the league with non-refs who have as much rules knowledge as their players seem to.

There are plenty of places to work. Don't give this a 2nd thought. Get out.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 03, 2017, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'm done after this year, but I'm already scheduled in February. This league is in the town where I teach, and a lot of my students' dads play in the league so it would be really bad form to not follow through on the commitment. I'll finish out this year, and be done with it for good. I doubt I'll get any of the post season assignments, as he took me off the schedule the last two weeks of February for another good story. Read on if you want to hear about that fun one.
3 weeks ago we had an ice storm on deck for Sunday night. NWS was advising no travel whatsoever after 6 pm. I was scheduled to ref 4-9 that night. He called me in the morning for something else, and I asked him about cancelling that night. He told me as long as he had refs there, he wasn't worried about it. Two thoughts that went through my head were what about our safety, and what if nobody shows up for games? I chewed on that for a couple hours a little annoyed. My wife is a big worrier. Worries every morning while I'm out running. Used to worry about my 30 minute commute until I got this position in the town where we live. Worries about every little thing. She was talking all day about how she was really worried about me driving in the weather. Finally, I thought you know what? It isn't worth stressing her out over a rec league that I don't really enjoy doing. Sent him a text at about noon and said I'll do your first two games, but I'm done at 6 when the ice will be here so you'll either have to cancel or find someone else who's willing to drive in the storm. I'm sure he wasn't excited but hey man, with the way he backs us up (not at all), it is what it is. By the way, the storm was everything they made it out to be. It was a skating rink. I went out to salt, took one step out my front door and luckily still had a hold of my door handle, because I went down. It was still a frozen mess Monday morning when I left for work.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Not for nothing but he gets to act like that because the officials let him. It's no different than any relationship in life. You need to set boundaries and abide by them until the other side accepts them or dont, and they move on.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2017, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Stand Up

Quote:
I doubt I'll get any of the post season assignments...
Why would you want any?

Quote:
I'm done after this year, but I'm already scheduled in February. This league is in the town where I teach, and a lot of my students' dads play in the league so it would be really bad form to not follow through on the commitment.
That's even more reason. How is that parent/teacher meeting going to go when the player that you ejected walks into your classroom to discuss his son's/daughter's progress in school?

I've stopped working a small town local Y men's basketball league, partially because of the lack of ref support. In game one of the night, I ejected a player with two unsporting T's. He happened to be on two rosters (different divisions), and had another game following his ejection. After the game, when reported to the league admin, with whom I worked closely, I asked if player X was allowed to play in the next game. I had to ask, because nobody knew. He asked, "what do you recommend?" My answer, "I recommend that you have a written and communicated league policy like I have previously suggested." They let him play in the next game.

What about setting the example of standing up for yourself when your superior won't? That's a great lesson for young people to learn.

I'm reminded of a quote I first learned at a basketball camp 20 years ago...

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."