Thread: T Worthy?
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
Somewhat along those lines, what advice do you have for responding to a coach who repeatedly comments to you about your partner's calls?

I'll be in front of the coach during play and he'll say stuff like "I know that's not your call but you gotta help your partner out." OR "Cmon, PLEASE talk to your partner!"

I usually just ignore it, because it's not like he's asking me a legitimate question.

Not sure if it's a divide & conquer strategy? Like the coach will suck up to one official while putting down the other? (NOTE: I"m SURE there have been times when it was reversed and I was the lead and a coach was complaining to my partner about me)

Should it just be flat-out ignored?
*This is an interesting question. Coaches have many tactics up their sleeve and that is one of them--the ole "divide and conquer" maneuver (getting you to oppose/question your partner), the non-verbal "whaaat?" look, pre-arranged placement of confederates in the stands to taunt/deride you on calls, etc.
I heard at a camp once that a clinician said to tell coaches "when the other ref transitions/rotates back then ask him why he made that call". However, I found that advice to actually undermine the crew's unity and facilitate the bias that coaches want to impose, so I never used it. What I tell coaches is something to the effect of this: "the official got a good look at the play, and reported what he saw (or did not call what he did not see)".

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Jan 24, 2017 at 12:49pm.