View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 21, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000 View Post
Let me preface this comment as a remote northern WI official that I don't really care about the pay, but this is insane. I haven't worked a three man game in the past three years for less than $80. Yes, we don't get mileage, but a review of my schedule shows that 3/4 of my games are within 40 miles one way with the longest trip being 75 miles. You can do the math on the mileage reimbursements split 3 ways.

Fortunately for us, our conference assigners have been very proactive and have found the school administrators to be receptive to the fee schedule. I guess the takeaways are twofold:

1. At least for me, the fee increase in exchange for mileage reimbursement has worked out pretty well. The inference that were getting the short end of the stick by forgoing mileage just isn't accurate.

2. Were very fortunate up here as the laws of supply and demand appear to be on our side, as I've heard that one conference up this way will actually be going to $90/game next year.

My sincerest hopes that you guys get some pay increases going forward.
Fascinating. I worked for a year in Kansas and the statewide spread was $70-$85, all for three-person (70 or 75 urban, 85 in the rural west). In Wisconsin, similar setup, but the spread is over twice as large ($50-$85). Sheesh.

So the budget "issues" that Rich alludes to don't seem to be an issue up north; the fees are higher despite a lower per capita income and, presumably, similar admissions prices at the gate. However, in said rural northern areas, do many schools not have frosh and JV teams? If so, that would be a lot less money to spend on officials on any given Tuesday or Friday night, making it easier to stomach the higher varsity fees. Out of curiosity, for those schools who do have frosh/JV teams, what is the 2-person fee range for those games?