View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 11:04pm
In Time Out

I must also agree with Mr. Rowe's obstruction explanation. It all depends on whether the catcher had the ball. And in this case, the qualification "speadking ASA" wasn't even needed. No ball, obstruction, safe. Have ball, can try to block.

As to the quote "I mean how can the catcher has the ball when his foot gets stepped, and not be able to tag the runner?", it is very possible to have the ball, have a foot on or in front of the plate or a base, and have no opportunity to make a tag before the runner tries to step on the base. Consider if the player had stretched or fallen catching the ball. The player has the ball, but can't possibly reach the base or the runner's path without getting up first. They would have an out on a force, but when a tag is required, different story.

If the catcher's foot is stepped on, it could be very hard to tell if any part of the runner's heel or toe did or did not touch the base as the step rolls over the foot. I probably have "safe". If I see effort to make the tag, the catcher is just late. If I see a leg whip or trip, hoping to create a chance to then make a tag, depending on level and severity, either a warning or an ejection (USC) if flagrant.