View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Saddest T I ever gave

I had a game last year and was telling the story to another official and she said she would have done it differently. It was a girls varsity game with 2 below average teams.

Team A was home and had a full bench available. Team B only had 6 players. Well it ends up being a real war of attrition it is a 1 point game with 30 seconds to go and Team A trailing calls for a timeout. Team B at this time only has 5 girls due to an injury.

The 2nd horn blows and team B comes out onto the court and sets up in a 2-3 zone. I am inbounding the ball at the mid court line. I become team A several times to come onto the floor and after 10-15 seconds of extended time I blow my whistle place the ball on the floor and start my count.

Team A still isn't rushing onto the floor. A gird from team B starts sprinting over to the ball on the ground and picks the ball up (I couldn't believe she was doing this and wanted to tell her not to, but I didn't want to effect a close game. I called a technical foul on the girl and it was her 5th foul so they were playing a girl short.

Team A makes both free throws and wins by a point as Team B doesn't even foul to extend the game.

I was telling this story to another official and she said she would have just called a delay of game warning for going over the line. I never thought I might be wrong in the technical call because she touched the ball over the out of bounds line, but technically to get there she would have put a body part over the line 1st. I am just playing devils advocate with myself I guess, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk