View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 17, 2017, 01:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*This email I recv'd from the State may clarify:

"The National Federation Office asked that we forward this message.

Much discussion is taking place in the various social media and other places about the follow situation.

Here is the play:

- Team A has Team Control in their frontcourt.

- Team B deflects a pass into the air and over the backcourt.

- A3 catches the ball in his/her backcourt, before the ball make contact with the floor in the backcourt.

RULING:

This is a backcourt violation, since Team A had Team Control in their frontcourt and A3 was the first to touch a ball that still had frontcourt status while A3 was in the backcourt. The deflection of the ball by B does not change the status of the ball. This causes A to be the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt and the first to touch in the backcourt. The ball continued to have backcourt status. Similar to A3 catching the ball while standing out-of-bounds."

"Allow me to remind you of a few things:

- We should all remain consistent in the mechanics of reporting fouls:

o Make your way to the reporting area in front of the scorer’s table. Don’t get in the habit of shouting from across the court or from a long distance."
1. This play isn't relevant to this discussion because the OP involves a throw in.

2. Even on the court, until they actually change the rule to match this distorted interpretation, I'm not going to see that play that well.