View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
Team A has the ball out of bounds on their front-court baseline. Inbounder A1 holds the ball through the plane where defender B1 legally swipes it out of his hands since it is on the inbounds side of the plane. Partner blows whistle thinking it's a technical foul then comes up to me for help, realizing it was a legal play. We decided to go with the AP arrow, but upon further thinking, I believe we should have returned the ball to Team A for a throw-in since Team A was last in control at the time of the inadvertent whistle. Game ended up a blow-out, so no impact to the call either way. What's the POI in this sitch?
There is team control during a throw in. However, when the ball is knocked out of the thrower ins hands the throw in has ended. There's no team control "inbounds." Using the arrow was correct.

Now, remember, there is a definition of a team control foul. It is a team control foul if the offense fouls during the throwin or after it but before ball is secured. They have said this because they don't want FTs if the offense fouls once the throw in ends and while a scramble is going on. There is no team control "inbounds" once the ball is tipped but they still call it a "team control foul" to reach a desired result.

The definitions are weird but I think I said it correctly.