View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 21, 2016, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why do you hold officials to a higher standard? The only standard we should be held to is can we adjudicate the games we work impartially, and in respect to the rules yes the standard is higher.

As for an official that acts as a fan, I would treat them as such. I would most likely have a smart a$$ remark like BNR had. But I don't hold anyone to any higher standards than just do your job. I'm not going to treat him any different because hes a "ref". At that moment he's a fan. If I do see him and care to say anything after the game I would make a smart comment about all fans being so ignorant of the rules and that they should read a rule book. This is about the only time passive aggressive works.
I absolutely hold officials to a higher standard when they are watching games as fans because they should know better, plain and simple.

And there is no reason to be passive aggressive. Deal with the issue head on. Tell the guy you didnt appreciate how he behaved during the game and you have a reasonable expectation of not dealing with that BS from a fellow official. If he disagrees then tell him you'll adress it with the assigner. Our assigner would let the official know of the standard we have here for treating fellow officials even as a fan.

Ive been a fan and a coach. I know how emotional people can get and how easy it is to go off on the officiating but I also, am an official. And know how difficult the job is and what it entails. So I keep that in mind when I'm watching a game in a different capacity. And I think its more than fair to expect fellow officials to do the same, especially those within the same association.