View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 06, 2016, 03:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I get that Mark, but because there is no current rule/case play/anything written in the most current book where I can go read it, doesn't that make what constitutes taunting in my judgement as an official?

As I responded to Welpe above, how am I expected to know that the NFHS 6 years ago said this is taunting if they never keep it in the current rule book??

AremRed:

You took the first step by registering with Officiating.com. That way you get the benefit of asking historians of the rules like a bald old geezer like me.

I started officiating basketball in 1971. I have officiated boys'/girls' H.S. since 1971. Until either 1978, boys'/girls' H.S. and men's college basketball was played under the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada. In 1978 that Committee split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's committees. I officiated women's college basketball from 1974 to 2008. Until 1984 women's college basketball was played under the National Assn. of Girls' and Women's in Sports Rules, and under the NCAA Women's Rules Committee since then. I also officiated men's jr. college and college JV from 1993 to 2008. And was a USA Basketball Referee (FIBA Rules) from 1993 to 2003.

I have been a rules interpreter and have sat on IAABO National Committees and have one friend who officiated in the NBA and two that have officiated in the WNBA. I have been fortunate to have been able to know some of the finest rules people in the sport and have tried to pass forward the history of the rules that I learned from them. It was in my blood from the very beginning that I would be a historian for the rules.

I wish that the NFHS and the NCAA would create a free online data base of the Rules Books, Casebooks, Rules Interpretations, Approved Rulings, Officials Manuals and CCA Manuals. It was be a great contribution to basketball officiating education.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio