View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 15, 2003, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Mike,

"I believe they were reaching and the call was a set up. Some "Billy Martin-type" manager thinks they are being slick and getting away with something that probably has little to no effect on the game. And, the umpires probably knew this and were sending a message, sort of like a FYC."

Exactly....They called it when it had no effect on the game.
Which is the way it should have been called. No one on and
already 1 out in the book. Just a ball, but it let the coach
know which was to be what.

Did not say I agreed with the call, but technically it was
correct as far as rules go. With the entire infield gathered
and resin going from person to person. The only pitch I am
aware that it could effect would be the drop ball. Not sure
how, but have been told it does assist that pitch.

glen
To the best of my knowledge, the effect "foreign substance" has on the ball is that it creates an unbalanced ball which supposedly affects the flight of the ball, somewhat like a knuckle ball.

Personally, I do not see any effect which could be caused by resin unless it was packed into the stitching. Personally, I think this is a leftover rule from the old baseball days. Ugh, I hated using that word, but sometimes we just have to do what we have to do.

And, I still contend that the umpires' call was based on assumption not fact. Like I said, there is nothing in the rule which demands the defenders wipe off their hands after use.