View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 18, 2016, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Team Warning for Delay (Video added)

11/18/16. Northern Iowa vs. Oklahoma @ Orlando (Tire Pros Invitational). ESPNU. 5:15 2nd Half.

Start sequence at ~5:15. NIU drains a 3. An NIU player getting in position for a possible rebound finds himself under the basket with a dead ball coming through the net at his feet. So, in what looked like a gesture of politeness, he grabbed the ball and tossed it to the old lead. Old lead whistles him for a delay.

I'm not sure I'd make that call. Granted there are things I may not know here, e.g. perhaps NIU was "unofficially" warned earlier for this, or perhaps OU had a penchant for quickly inbounding the ball after a basket, and the official thought that the action by the NIU player impeded this. But on it's own, it seemed pretty benign.

It's also worth noting that an official might feel more "free" to issue a delay for this in an NCAA game versus an NFHS game because collegiately, each DOG situation carries it's own warning, whereas in NFHS they are all lumped together in one basket.

Seemed like an interesting case for discussion. Hopefully one of our IT saavy members can find the clip.