View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 26, 2016, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

There's a couple of cases being discussed simultaneously here. I want to add my 2 cents on some of the issues:

1. Yes, the first case was a dead ball because it was a HBP, not a ball 4. My mistake.

2. On the case about a runner asking for time then going back to touch 1st and return to 2nd base under the dead ball situation. How would you let that happen? If a coach came out fo the dugout and asked for time while a situation was still developing, (like a runner off base, or me as ump waiting to see if a batter-runner continues on to 2nd, etc) I would not grant the coach time out until i was sure play was done. Same with your runner on 2nd.

In your case with a runner on 2nd base calling time, I would not grant it immediately (provided i knew he had missed 1st). If he/she makes no attempt to return to tag the base missed, I would then allow time. If during the time out he goes back to 1st and then returns to 2nd, that would not count as tagging a missed base. Time was out. If i get an appeal I would call the out even if they claimed they went back and tagged the base.
a. I allowed play to finish before calling time and up to that point there was no effort to return to the missed base.
b. this is not a situation where time was a result of the ball going out of play before the player had the opportunity to correct the missed base.

Even if the base runner asked for time and i granted it, I would not count leaving the base and tagging 1st as correcting the missed base.

One wrinkle could be that if ump calls time for some other reason and runner was still in motion and i missed it, i'd probably have to allow it. But I'd be hard pressed to allow it if the runner or the coach calls time and then say go back and touch 1st. I think i still allow the appeal because they should have done that under the live ball. Ball was still in play. They asked for time, it wasn't caused by the situation.