View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 11:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post
I was reading an article in the most recent Referee magazine entitled "De-Classify NFHS Fouls." There is a scenario where A1 attempts (a missed) 3 point shot and is fouled by B1 (simple contact) and at the same time by B2 (intentional foul) during the attempt. A1 is entitled to four free throws. So far so good, as this is an application of Rule 10, Penalty 6.b.(2) - two free throws for each foul on an unsuccessful 3-point try. However, the author goes on to state that if A1 had made the shot, it could have a been a 7 point play. How does this work? I would have thought that if A1 had made the shot he would have been entitled to one free throw under 10, Penalty 6.a.(3) (one free throw for each foul on a successful three point try) for the simple contact foul and two free throws under 10, Penalty 6.b.(1) (two free throws for each intentional or flagrant foul) for the intentional foul. What am I missing?

Thanks.

As a rules interpreter I love plays like this because it requires officials to study the rules book especially Rule 4. But in real life, I only see one foul: The IPF by B2.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio