View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 25, 2016, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
Why would you think bad habits would be fostered working lower skilled games (as you call it "junk ball")? You should be encouraging your umpires development and that usually comes with experience IMO; regardless of the level of ball they work. Some might say that working lower skill level games could actually foster good habits due to the many unusual things you may experience in such games. Bad habits come from being lazy most likely and not the quality of games being called...or worse, being snobby and thinking you should only work elite level games. Sure, game selection would be nice to only get the best action but even those games have their share of junk ball activities. Give your umpires guidance and encourage them to always bring their "A" game to EVERY contest and work with those that need constructive criticism. Too often I see assignors avoid scheduling certain leagues or geo areas because they labeled them as "junk ball" and then also wanna restrict their umpires from working them as well. There is a shortage of officials, not just warm bodies but quality officials as well. I say let them work wherever and whenever they can to improve their overall skills.
You may be right, but Steve isn't wrong.

I've seen umpires do great, utilize their training and work some great games. And I've seen some working outside my area or sanctioning body and their mechanics and effort have dropped off tremendously.

A lot of this comes from the lack of supervision and/or critique while working those games. It shouldn't happen, but it does.