View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 24, 2016, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
I have a friend who works for an ASA group about 15 miles from her home. She's worked for them for 15 yrs - very successfully I might add. She lives 2 miles from one of the nicest softball complexes in the area, its a VTD league. This fall she decided to call one night a week at the local complex for a new UIC who is trying hard to do things the right way, unlike the former UIC he replaced. When she inquired why she was not assigned any games next week by the ASA league, she was told it was because she was calling one night per week for the VTD league. She was told her decision violated ASA "ethics and policies" and that her behavior was inappropriate.

I agree that (1) you never give up one assignment for another and (2) you service your own ASA group before other ASAs. But ASAs do not "own" their registered umpires. Would she get the same reaction if he did JUCO fall ball once a week? Who knows .....

Thoughts / Opinions please ...
Well, that has nothing to do with ASA and is most likely the scheme of a local assignor or group. If it isn't in writing and a known policy at the time your friend joined the group, it is bullshit. OTOH, I can understand circumstances where this could be a policy.

I have seen this more as a recruiting tool used by other alphabets in trying to dissuade potential umpires from working ASA.