View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 22, 2016, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Other then where the rule book notes that a warning shall be issued, just what is an "official warning"? If there IS an official warning, is there an unofficial warning available? Is it like the difference between probation and double-secret probation?
Pretty sure the question is facetious, but for those wondering about this, some rules sets prescribe warnings that are to be recorded. NFHS has a slew of warnings with restrictions for a second offense; many umpires might just tell a player to remove a wristband or a forgotten earring without a recorded warning; to me, I consider that an unofficial warning, and if she comes back with something else she shouldn't have or didn't remove it, I make it an official warning.

NCAA directs a warning to be recorded when a coach challenges balls and strikes or a strictly judgment ruling with a resultant delay in the game by being argumentative. A repeat offense results in ejection and a required game report to the NCAA Rules Secretary. I would consider a difference between "Coach, that's enough" and "Coach, that's your warning" with a recording of same to be an unofficial warning for the former case and allowing a bit of latitude going forward, and an official warning with minimal latitude remaining for the latter.