View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Base hit with runner at third. One out. Ball comes home on relay throw. Catcher misses throw and it rebounds toward on deck batter who is about 8 ft past plate giving direction to runner attempting to score. Ball hits on deck batter and stops there. Catcher picks it up as another runner scores.

Your call as plate umpire? Rule cite please
On a base hit, a runner at third will usually NOT need directions from the ODB.

The OP scenario throws in a surprise when we learn that "another runner" scores.

So presumably, there were more runners on base than just on third. Unless the runner on third was a turtle, the throw to home (relayed from an outfielder) was not intended for that runner.

Although I don't think ASA is a specific as NFHS, 3-6-6 states:
Only the batter, runner(s), on-deck batter, coaches in the coach's box, bat/ball shaggers or one of the nine players on defense are permitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up areas.

To me, that indicates that an ODB is indeed "engaged in the game".

And I'll second the opinions that if a thrown ball had hit a coach who was directing his base runners, that would be no more of an INT call than a ball who has hit (or deflected into) the ODB.

For me it would have to go back to the interpretation of having committed an act of interference. Simply standing there is typically not that.

Now, occasionally, I'll have an ODB run out into fair territory to retrieve a discarded bat. That's a little different if s/he suddenly is in the way of a throw. THAT would likely be an INT call.

PS: I expect to hear about ball shaggers a la Dusty Baker's kid who found himself in the middle of a play. I think he ended up being scooped up by a player who was scoring. Mark Grace?

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Wed Aug 24, 2016 at 01:38pm. Reason: post scritp