View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Base hit with runner at third. One out. Ball comes home on relay throw. Catcher misses throw and it rebounds toward on deck batter who is about 8 ft past plate giving direction to runner attempting to score. Ball hits on deck batter and stops there. Catcher picks it up as another runner scores.

Your call as plate umpire? Rule cite please
I think its complex and you had ot be there but;

1. the rule is 7.1.D
"The on-deck batter may not interfere with a defensive player’s opportunity to make an out.
Effect:
1. The ball is dead.
2. If it involves a runner, the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be declared out.

2. The rule says interferes with a defensive players opportunity to make an out. I wouldn't know that unless i was there. Interference is a judgement call. I most likely have a dead ball because it hit a player who should have gotten out of the way. But could the catcher have made an out? Depends on where the runner was, was anyone covering the plate, could the catcher have gotten the ball if it didn't hit the on-deck batter.

If i don't think she (the catcher) could have made an out, i have a dead ball (blocked ball) and put runners back. (8.5.G.exception#3). If I think she might have gotten an out, runner closest to home would be out.

That's my 2 pennies worth.

Last edited by josephrt1; Tue Aug 23, 2016 at 10:17am.