View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

The only appeal that does not require talking is a live-ball appeal, for example the appeal of a runner leaving a base before a fly ball is touched. A legal tag with the ball to the violating player, while the runner is still on the field is also a proper live-ball appeal. Again, proper live-ball appeals do not always require a verbal appeal, but they do require the ball. An example of where a verbal appeal needs to be made on a live-ball appeal is when, say, the BR misses 1B before the throw arrives, and F3 just stands there on the bag with the ball. Until F3 indicates an appeal to the umpire, this is not an appeal. An example of a live-ball appeal not needing a verbal: Play at the plate - runner misses the plate, F2 misses the tag. This is the classic "hesitation safe" signal. If F2 tags the plate, this is a live-ball appeal and should be ruled upon, even if she doesn't say anything. RS #1-I

Where this gets tricky is when the ball remains live, but a late appeal is made when the ball is already in the circle, such as in your example. 8-7-F/I Effect Part 3B & 3C covers this under the dead-ball section, making me think the intent is that appeals from the circle at the conclusion of play are to be treated as dead-ball appeals.

All dead-ball appeals require someone (depending on ruleset) to verbally specify to the umpire what they are appealing. RS #1-C-1. In ASA, any infielder (F1 through F6) may make an appeal, regardless of whether they have the ball or not.

A pitcher may throw to a base from the circle, but if she has already taken the pitching position, and throws while still in contact with the pitching plate with either foot, the throw is an illegal pitch and the live-ball appeal is cancelled. (ASA 6-8) A dead-ball appeal cannot then be made, as appeals must occur before the next pitch, legal or illegal.

In your example, because no one says anything, we do not have a proper dead-ball appeal. The umpire responsible for judging that base when the ball was live should not make a call.

This hinges on my interpretation of 8-7-F/I Effect. If I am wrong, and the appeal is in fact a live-ball appeal, then tagging the bag while in possession is a proper appeal.

Last edited by teebob21; Tue Jul 12, 2016 at 02:35pm. Reason: Clarified live ball appeals.