View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2016, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Non-professional referees in America are almost always independent contractors, which are not employees, so I doubt working games would not be permitted.
Yes, that is what I thought, but rules are really strict in this sense. If you have a student visa, you cannot work apart from very specific circumstances.

On the university website there is the following definition of employment: it is considered employment any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. An unpaid position where the work performed receives no pay or other benefit is instead considered as volunteer work and it would be fine! It also specifies that "even if you are not receiving any form of compensation for services provided, the activity may still be considered unauthorized employment."

Hence, the basic rule, as far as I understood, is: if you get money, it is considered employment. I would have some chances that officiating were not deemed as employment if I did not receive any money, and that is why I asked if it is possible to officiate games without being paid and having it on paper.

Unfortunately I am afraid that this is a serious issue...

Last edited by italian_referee; Thu May 26, 2016 at 06:47pm.