View Single Post
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've only been to Virginia once (Richmond, and I loved it, why is everybody so polite?), which is why I pulled up the map. VaTerp seems to be talking about the centerpoint of the region's population, which in Virgina, is located in Goochland County outside of Richmond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good point. In any case, Charlottesville isn't near either the population center, nor the geographic center. A site just west of Richmond would be the best bet, if a proper facility exists.
There are many polite and many not so polite people in VA just like most places but good to hear you have fond memories of the Commonwealth.

You say that the centerpoint of the states population is in Goochland, which is northwest of Richmond. Then say that Charlottesville isnt near the population or geographic center. Trust me when I say you are completely wrong on the second statement.

Charlottesville is an hour north west of Richmond and about about 30 minutes from Goochland. In a state that is 3/5 hours long and 7 hours wide Charlottesville is VERY close to Richmond and VERY VERY close to Goochland. And while you may be correct about Goochland being the exact geographic center, I would think the excellent athletic facilities at the flagship university in the state about a half hour away qualifies as being centrally located. And with Richmond, the state capital, a half hour in the other direction I would say that my original point about Richmond and Charlottesville being centrally located for VHSL events is a fact. I would think that may even have something to do with why the VHSL is located there.

In the end, this is a friendly argument about nothing. As Camron suggested, finances and the best deal for VHSL is what will determine where championsips are played.

I'm biased being from Richmond and personally thinking both the basketball championships at VCU and football championships at UVA have been very good fan experiences. And for Northern VA schools and where I live now going there is much more convenient than going to Tidewater. But there are good facilities there and its not bad to move things around the state from time to time.

Last edited by VaTerp; Wed May 18, 2016 at 03:13pm.