Thread: 2 Out Decision
View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

2 Out Decision

I was assigned to worked with a partner last night who, shall I just say, was "interesting". In game 1 he was behind the plate and called strikes on two pitches that bounced. Later, in game 2, he called a player safe after she was doubled off 3rd on an infield fly - the ball beat her back to the bag, but he claimed she needed to be tagged. He was yelling back at the coach and crowd and things got quite tense for a while. I was able to "help him" fix that one, although it took quite a bit of convincing. I also got the crowd and the coaches calmed down. There were other highly questionable calls as well but this post is regarding a comment he made during our pregame.

Apparently at a previous game a situation arose where he had the wrong number of outs "on his clicker"....shocker! After he announced that there were 2 outs (and I don't know the details of the play) another out was made. One of the remaining base runners then entered the dugout, believing the inning was over. When the coach pointed out that in fact there had only been two outs in the inning, as confirmed by both books, he called the base runner out for abandoning her base. He proudly stated that no amount of arguing from the coach would make him change his mind.

Is there a jeopardy rule in NFHS Softball that allows the error of this umpire to be fixed?