View Single Post
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I worked with a partner yesterday who was PU.

About a dozen times, when a player received a base on balls, he removed his mask with his right hand, took a step back towards the right-handed batter's box, and then pointed with his left hand (with an open hand vs a finger) towards first base. He was very deliberate and calculated in doing this.

We discussed this after the game. He said he had been evaluated the previous week and was dinged for not doing this in his game. He knew this wasn't the proper mechanic but when he questioned the evaluator about it, he was threatened with a further deduction for not being receptive to the evaluator's inputs. (Intimidating behavior by our leadership team, that's just what we need. The beatings will continue until morale improves!)

We further discussed that a signal to first base is appropriate when there is a HBP and after the dead ball call a point and award of first base. He knew this as well.

So today, I've been looking in both my NFHS Umpires Manual and Rules Book and cannot locate a reference for either situation. I thought perhaps the evaluator simply mixed them up, but I can't find either one.

The NFHS documentation is so weak in so many areas. While looking for the above, I came across Page 21, The Pitch, No. 9. There are times when the count should be given by the plate umpire.

But there's no clue as to what "times" those might be. I've always used the criteria when the next pitch could change the batter's status, i.e. after either ball 3 or strike 2; or, after some type of delay.

I see so many guys giving the count of 1-1 or 2-0 or 2-1. I'm trying to be less OCD lately, but it's still a minor annoyance to me.

So anyhoos, does anyone have a reference for the not pointing on a base on balls and/or a definite point on a HBP?

Thanx.
Not aware of any rule set which even suggests an umpire point toward an awarded base at any time.