Thread: Technicals
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 25, 2016, 03:43pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
You have got to be kidding. Asst coach, in the heat of the moment, telling the referee he handled it wrong was "really trying to help"? Hogwash. Among the *least* responsible things to ever come out of a coach's mouth during a game is "I'm a referee . . . ." While the Asst was right about the sit down comment, that doesn't mean he was really trying to help.

But to tankmjg24, take the advice to walk back through and figure out what you could have done differently. Think about more effective tools to end conversations without ratcheting up tension.
I've coached in youth leagues where I've also officiated, so this isn't really a far fetched scenario. I'm going to assume that he was being honest about actually being an official. Put yourself in the position of the assistant...you're taking over for a coach that has gotten tossed partly because a newbie kicked a rule and turned a simple T into a train wreck...would you say anything? I think I would. Not to be a dick...the official obviously has a low threshold at this point...but to maybe try to gain a little credibility with the official. I don't think the assistant was being irresponsible...in the end, he was correct.