View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 19, 2016, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Some thoughts:

1. Per NFHS Casebook 9.5, A1 dribbles and comes to a stop. If A1 throws against B’s backboard and catches the ball this is a double dribble violation. (Clearly even if A is standing still, the throw against B’s backboard and subsequent catch is the start and end of a dribble.)

2. Per NFHS Casebook 9.5, if A1 dribbles, comes to a stop and throws against A’s backboard and catches the ball - this is legal. Therefore, the throw and catch against A’s own backboard is not the start and stop of a dribble – it is the use of A’s team equipment. (Also see NFHS Rule 4-15-1 which provides that, “It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own backboard.” The 4-15-1 rule reference is an exception to Rule 4-4-5 which states that, “A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds.” Without the exception in 4-15-1, A1 catching the bounce of his own backboard would be the same as A1 catching his bounce off the floor – which is the start and end of a dribble.) Now, if after catching the ball off his own backboard A1 dribbles (assume he has remained still this whole time), he will be guilty of a double dribble violation. (I am, of course, assuming that the throw by A1 against his own backboard was not a try for goal. If it was a try for goal, A1 could, of course, recover the rebound and dribble again.)

3. Interesting discussion of whether after the release of A1’s throw against A’s backboard, A1 may move his pivot foot to go catch the ball. If A1 moves his pivot foot and successfully catches the ball, my approach would be to rule that this is a travellng violation. See Casebook 4.44.3 Situation C. It's also interesting that the Casebook scenarios on throws against the backboard are in the dribbling sections - not the traveling section. So I don't think interpretations on permissible dribbles trump the traveling rules.

Thanks for considering.