View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 15, 2016, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickhickva View Post
Thanks for all the posts on my fumbled ball scenario...one response got me to thinking ... and that response was "that you cannot travel without the ball!" Makes lots of sense ...It did make me think of 3 hypothetical scenarios however... I would appreciate your expertise

In all three scenarios ... the offensive Player has picked up his dribble in the back court

A In A the offensive being closely regarded decides to roll the ball on the floor away from the double team ...while his chances may be slim to be the first to get to the ball ..lets say he or she does ...is this a violation ... and if so what violation Player A guilty of>

In B and C ...same scenario trapped in the backcourt but near opponent's basket ... In B --- Player A throws the ball off opponent's backboard and then races to get the ball! In C ...Player A turns and shoots it at the goal and chases down the rebound ..what are the violations in these scenarios? And what would the violation termed ...Travelling...illegal dribble?
All of these scenarios are in the case book. Read it over and over again...and when you think you've read it enough read it another 10 times. I read it all the time. If a player ends a dribble then rolls the ball and is first to pick it up it is an illegal dribble. Throwing /shooting ball against opponents backboard is a dribble if player first to touch it.

If I'm holding the ball and throw it over your head, take 5 steps and catch, that is travel. That isn't really "excess foot movement WHILE HOLDING the ball but it is still travel by casebook plays. Read, read and read more. All the time....good luck