View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 27, 2016, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
I agree that there is definitely a time to come out of your primary but this is definitely NOT one of them. The C called Cooney for stepping on the endline from above the FT line extended while relatively straightlined!! The C had to look through a defender and try to call a line that he's looking at from a 90* angle. Never a good idea. The L (new T), while admittedly farther away (he was middle of the lane) is looking right down the endline and can see this a whole lot better than the C. My question is why is the C looking down at the line?

My first thought when he blew the whistle (Syracuse fan btw) was utter shock, then I immediately said (out loud) he must have been way OOB if the C called it. I wonder how the L/T missed it? Then I saw the replay.

Either way this is NOT the call to trumpet the merits of coming out of your primary to make a call. As you say he, "tried to get the play right and from his angle it did appear that Cooney was OOB." This is exactly why it's not the C's call! He can't possibly know with any certainty if Cooney was OOB which is why it is particularly shocking that he blew the whistle when the L/T had a pretty good look at it.

I absolutely agree. My point is that we should not be saddled with the antiquated notion that you can never make a call involving your partner's line and this is as good a time to bring it up as any. The collective goal of the crew is to make correct calls and if we make a call that involves our partner's primary or line we should not guess and be 100 percent sure of the call.

I always tell my partners in pregame to grab a call if they see I missed one. There's no such thing as a perfect game and the game is supposed to be about the players, not our egos. If a guy tells me he is not okay with me making a call in his primary if he misses one then I know that our collective performance on the game is going to suffer.