View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 26, 2016, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJOfficial View Post

All that don't call my line BS is just that. Yes, stay in your primary 99% of the time, but occasionally your partner will miss a call and will thank you for grabbing it. The official was trying to get the play right and from his angle it did appear that Cooney was OOB.

The teaching point here is, as always, don't guess!
I agree that there is definitely a time to come out of your primary but this is definitely NOT one of them. The C called Cooney for stepping on the endline from above the FT line extended while relatively straightlined!! The C had to look through a defender and try to call a line that he's looking at from a 90* angle. Never a good idea. The L (new T), while admittedly farther away (he was middle of the lane) is looking right down the endline and can see this a whole lot better than the C. My question is why is the C looking down at the line?

My first thought when he blew the whistle (Syracuse fan btw) was utter shock, then I immediately said (out loud) he must have been way OOB if the C called it. I wonder how the L/T missed it? Then I saw the replay.

Either way this is NOT the call to trumpet the merits of coming out of your primary to make a call. As you say he, "tried to get the play right and from his angle it did appear that Cooney was OOB." This is exactly why it's not the C's call! He can't possibly know with any certainty if Cooney was OOB which is why it is particularly shocking that he blew the whistle when the L/T had a pretty good look at it.