View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 19, 2016, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I know this doesn't apply directly to you as you are not trying to get picked up on the NCAA-W's side, but the brand new hire as the MEAC women's staff supervisor expects officials to know such information.

One of your friendly local NBA officials has the expectation that anytime you blow your whistle for a foul you know all the consequences of said whistle: bonus or throw-in, time on shot clock (if applicable), disqualifying foul (5th or 6th depending on rule set).

Game awareness above and beyond the "average" official is most definitely a discriminator when it is time to make decisions (post-season assignments; hire to a college staff; recommend as a hire, etc).

Just food for thought, you never know who is watching. You're on top of this situation, then you go to a camp and an observer remembers you as the guy at his son/daughter's game who managed the game and kept everything flowing smoothly. You would be surprised at the amount of stories I've heard from accomplished officials who got noticed by the right person or the friend of the right person for doing things above and beyond expectations.
Yup, I get all this. Better than I used to be, that's for sure. I'm more aware of individual foul counts, who's got 4, who I've called 3 on, when we're at 7 TFs, etc. Work in progress. I may never be a college official but I enjoy the pursuit of betterment.

With three minutes between halves and in need of a drink of water, I didn't check the book at halftime like I would in a HS game. Wish I or my partner had. So we ended up where we did.

Sometimes despite best intentions, you make a mistake. When that happens, there's usually a procedure to follow. I can't think of one in this case, however. So I go back to my original question of "What do you do?" for which I have not yet received any professional opinions or rule/case citations.