View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 13, 2016, 02:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Unfortunately what Rut said is true. This is how HS officials are taught to handle this player in our area. The few times a year I work HS games, we pregame that L is taking these plays when they involve secondary defenders. Often, at least one member of the crew isn't familiar with the concept of secondary defenders, so we end up just going with L gets first crack on all these plays and as T or C it is ok to have a whistle, but you need to hold your preliminary signal.
I have done it this way for as long as I can remember. I do not like the idea of a Lead calling across the lane. If they have something to call, get the heck over there. Secondary defenders are not difficult for a C in this case as they are seeing where the ball handler is going. Now if the contact is totally in the lane the play came down the middle of the lane, I would agree. But to me the Center say the entire thing. The Lead should know this and at least be slower.

I think that is more of a college concept and was started because the Lead officials acted like they did not know how to have a double whistle.

Peace