View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 10, 2016, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

There are 3 associations that serve the Dallas/Fort worth metro area, and I know that all of them are in desperate need of more officials. I had the good fortune of traveling 3.5 hours one way to a playoff game where my partner is the president of our association and I learned a lot about the behind-the-scenes activities. One of the topics was the glaring need for more officials in all of the associations. Often in the off-season, school districts will attempt to switch associations, but there is basically a "freeze" in place, agreed upon by the leadership of the 3 associations that they will all keep what they have, aside from the fallout from a recent restructuring of certain districts where an association will have to absorb a school or two, but that should all even itself out. The driver of that decision is because none of the associations has enough officials to take on any more schools. Adding to the problem are several new high schools and middle schools that will be opening next season that will be serviced by my association. The good news is that we are getting a raise in pay at all levels next season, so that should help with the acquisition of new officials and the retention of others who might otherwise quit or retire. All this to say, depending on your limitations to travel to games, there are other associations you could join who would likely greet you with open arms. That's not to say you'd get better games (you probably wouldn't), but at least you might find a better fit, given your frustrations. It's an option is all I'm saying.