View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
I just joined e-umpire. I have spent a good deal of time over the years visting and from time to time posting at another umpire board. I agree to an extent with those who counsel that we err when comparing some situations to MLB umpires. I was at the Yankees vs Orioles playoff game in which Garcia ruled Derek Jeter's ball was a homerun. Although I was in the last row of the upper deck in leftfield I had a good pair of binoculars and followed the ball all the way and while rooting for the Yankees I immediately said "that's fan interference" as I saw the rightfielder camped under the ball. I read later that Richie Garcia was quite upset when he saw the replays. Jeffrey Maier, the infamous NY kid, reached out, rather than down, and the ball rolled up his arm. The call in my mind had nothing to do whether it was a Little League World Series or a MLB playoff game.

As far as players blocking bags with their knees, I would find it difficult to call obstruction because most of these cases are in the act of fileding the throw/ Metal cleats = stupid move by defense. I recall Maury Wills had a major league firstbaseman do the same thing as he usually dove back into head-first after a healthy lead. After he sharpened his spikes aka cleats, and went in feet first it never happened again. What I might suggest is a quiet word with the defenseive coach to prevent injury.-- Jim Simms/NY