View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

10U

I know he does ump 10U as well as the older girls. In my park district we have no drop third for 10U (per in-house rules). I really can't imagine that the average 9 yr old catcher has any chance of getting a girl out at 1st. The 10U travel team is another story, but then again, they arn't usually your average 9 or 10 yr olds. In our house league we try to keep it fun and fair for everyone. Knowing personally how the 10U house league plays, here is what I'm imagining...On the occasion that one of the house league pitchers actually throws three strikes the chances are the catcher usually isn't going to catch it. Next is my favorite part....CHAOS ENSUES. It truely tickles me to watch and listen at this point. One side's coaches yelling for their girl to run, the other for the catcher to get the ball and throw to 1st and 8 other little girls on the field looking somewhere between confused at what exactly they should be doing and scared that they may have already not done it. Plus if we did use drop third for 10U, my guess is 4 innings within the 2 hour time limit we have.

As for my "well-seasoned" friend, he may have just finished a 10U game in his district where they play it the way he described it, while I rarely ump anything other than the 16U girls who play it by the standard ASA rule. Now I really am curious and will have to track him down and ask. One of my most memorable ejections of a coach stemed from him not listening and insisting on arguing with me about a call I made correctly AND IN HIS FAVOR. The next time we met up he appologized (his other coach had explained what happened when he calmed down) and we had a good laugh about it. Just remember, if they don't get it the first time, just talk louder and slower (it sometimes works for people who speak a different language as well.

Jeff B