View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 25, 2016, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbell89 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum - wish I'd found it earlier!

A general question. I've been officiating collegiate intramural basketball for six years. I recently changed schools and have noticed that players are not only talking back more often, but they are talking back *to me* more than to any of the other officials. I've issued six unsportsmanlike techs in the last eight games. My crewmates have not issued any.

I generally get good reviews from observers and take officiating seriously. However, I'm concerned that there might be something I am doing to draw the talking back from players. It may be relevant that my demeanor is usually the most "intense" on my crew - in the sense that I verbalize my calls most loudly, my mechanics are the most rigid, etc.

Has anyone else ever experienced a situation similar to this? Even if not, any advice about how I can help relieve some of the talking back? I know this isn't a job for the thin-skinned, but it has started to become grating.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome to college intramural basketball.

That's exactly where I started my officiating career. I gave out a ton of technical fouls because the players were exactly as you say they are.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you're getting good feedback from the people who matter, that's all that counts. Continue to penalize unsportsmanlike behavior.