Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
First of all, if you were T and then there was a steal going the other way, you don't have a sideline for the players to be going toward. You have an endline only, since you are now the new L. It is important to remember whose responsibilities are where.

I'll disagree....The new lead should continue to cover the sideline until the new trail is in position to cover the line. The new trail rarely picks up on a steal the instant it happens and is often not in a position to cover the line if they are covering the post action. It's only for a couple of seconds but the new lead can't leave the line uncovered just because the new trail has responsibility.
Cameron,

Maybe it is just a matter of semantics, but the T becoming new L does not have that responsibility. His responsibility is the baseline. That being said, there is nothing wrong with him "giving assistance" to the new T until the new T gets into a position where he can cover his area of responsibility.
I thinks its not a difference in semantics but a difference in practice. I'll agree with you that, by the book, the new lead has NO responsibility for the sideline once the turnover/steal has occured. However, if there is immediately another action that causes the player/ball to go OOB right in front of me as the new lead, I'll make that call every time even though it's technically the new trail's line.

This is not unlike the new lead covering the entire 3-point arc on a fast break. The new lead official has essentialy EVERYTHING on the steal/break, especially in two-man. The new trail is usually too far out of the play to call anything.