View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
This may be an in Rome thing but we were asked by the powers that be to seek out coaches directly to communicate with them/work with them. If a coach is upset about a call find them at the end of half/quarter to let them know what you saw or to hear their grievance. Go talk to coaches to break up time out huddles and share instructions or what you are seeing with them to re-enforce to their players, etc. We were constantly being encouraged to talk more to players and coaches vs blowing the whiste and walking away.

Ironically enough at the same time we were being asked to have a pretty high standard on calling violations and contact so that may have had something to do with it. Expecting coaches to be unused to or upset by tighter standard and talking them through the process. A lot of hand holding in retrospect.
This is what pre-season rules clinics, meetings, emails, memos, etc. are for. Expecting officials to convey this info during games is a lose-lose proposition IMO.

I think communicating with coaches is important. But the focus should be on finding the the most effective and most concise way to convey info and getting back your attention to calling the game.

I don't worry about finding time to talk to coaches. I just try to work on, again, language that is effective and efficient.

I can understand the challenges 2 man or going opposite after reporting present in terms of opportunities to talk to coaches. But I would not worry about it. Just focus on your communication skills so that when those opportunities do present themselves the conversation is quick and you convey what you want to convey.