View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Did the clock start? Did the C forget it was the 1st and chop the clock? Did the officials just watch B wondering what he was doing? Need more information to know if it's a CE or a player just being a goof during dead ball.
And this has been my point from the beginning.

The rules are very specific on how a ball can become live - it doesn't happen by magic.

If in the OP's situation the officials had not immediately recognized the issue, and after B1's goal had allowed the ball to be at A's disposal for a throw in, then the ball becomes live by rule, there would be interim play and I agree that a CE situation would exist if the error was recognized within the allowable time frame.

I will also agree that there was a CE in the OP's situation, but it wasn't failing to award a merited free throw. The real CE was erroneously counting B1's score, and if A's coach was on the ball, he would challenge it as a correctable error on the basis the ball was dead after the missed first FT, and consequently B1's goal was invalid.

Last edited by TimTaylor; Wed Feb 17, 2016 at 03:06pm.